It’s that time of year when everyone is searching for the perfect gift, including employers. According to a recent survey by Glassdoor, most workers aren’t as interested in a boost to their pay as they are in this, and it’s not that hard to add to their compensation package.
After surveying more than 2,000 U.S. adults, the results are in: four in five employees want benefits or perks more than a pay raise. The scores were consistent among men and women across all age categories. Among those who reported a preference of benefits over money, here are the specific benefits they would like to see added to their total compensation package:
- Healthcare insurance (e.g., medical, dental): 40 percent
- Vacation/Paid time off: 37 percent
- Performance bonus: 35 percent
- Paid sick days: 32 percent
- 401(k) plan, retirement plan and/or pension: 31 percent
- Flexible schedule (e.g., work from home): 30 percent
- Office perks (e.g., free lunch, casual dress): 19 percent
- Employee development programs (e.g., on-the-job training, professional development): 19 percent
- Tuition reimbursement: 18 percent
- Employee discounts: 17 percent
- Gym membership or wellness programs: 16 percent
- Stock, stock options and/or equity: 16 percent
- Paid parental leave (e.g., maternity leave, adoption assistance): 13 percent
- Childcare assistance (e.g., on-site childcare, financial assistance): 13 percent
- Commuter assistance (e.g., company shuttle, commuter checks): 9 percent
- Diversity program: 3 percent
“This is a clear signal to employers that in order to compete in today’s labor market, it’s not just about salary and compensation, employers should be communicating clearly about nontraditional compensation,” says Rusty Rueff, Glassdoor career and workplace expert. To learn more about the benefits package Stratus.hr can offer your employees and provide you something to tout about when trying to win talent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to provide health insurance or paid time off benefits to your workers, you may want to at least spend some time this holiday season considering parameters for a flexible work schedule and adding office perks – benefits that can certainly enhance your work environment. For specific ideas, please contact us.
photo credits: http://halogensoftware.com